SC - Fried/fricaseed chicken and Platina- semi OOP

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 07:30:21 PDT 1998

Unto the members of the list, greetings.

Adamantius and I were having a private conversation about fried vs. fricasseed
chicken and the Platina recipe I had posted, and I felt it was of sufficient
interest to the List, that I got his permission to quote it. Please
understand, we were chatting, so we drop words for brevity:

 PhlipinA:	 Just quoted Platina, on that and fried chicken.
 Adamantius:	 BTW, what you quoted from Platina should have been translated as
fricassee, not fry...
Adamantius:	 Did you buy that at the War?
Adamantius:	 Another case of a medieval scholar who doesn't know food...
 PhlipinA:	 Yes, and Curyiye, or whatever it is.
 Chiquart:	 Like Hieatt and Butler not knowing what you do with a reed, to a
chicken. Blow it up, of course...
 PhlipinA:	 Am improving my library. Was relying on her translations, will do
my own later.
 Chiquart:	 Well, I'm gonna run for now, look at the cooks' list, get some
work and errands done.
 PhlipinA:	 Word WAS fry, though, IIRC.
Adamantius:	 The translation is basically excellent, but this is something she
seems to have missed, based not on my knowledge of Latin, but on my knowledge
of cookery. Chicken fried and sauced with vinegar and egg yolks is a
fricassee, as any Southerner knows ... ;  )
 PhlipinA:	 Is a variant.
Adamantius:	 Yup, but a clear relative...

Anyway, as a Southerner, I used my memories of chicken Fricassee, and the
recipe I was taught, was Chicken dipped in beaten eggs and rolled in
spiced/herbed flour, then dipped and rolled again, fried, then cooked in a
cream sauce just until the crust softened a bit. I later asked Ras and
Mordonna in private chats for THEIR recipes, and found pretty much the same
things, although theirs were rolled in herbed flour rather than using the egg
wash, and their chicken wound up as being closer to stewed than fried, in my
opinion.

I'm wondering two things here. First, how many here would consider the Platina
recipe to be a Fricassee- I think it's closer to the modern Buffalo Chicken
Wings, since the chicken isn't treated before being fried, and the spices are
added with the sauce-and secondly, if Chicken Fricassee is as wildly variant
across the Southern states as it appears to be? Those of you with a Southern
background, please give the area you're from with your variants, and you
Yanks, please name your sources as well. Your grandmother's cook or neighbor
counts.

Thanks,

Phlip