SC - castles of cake and other such stuff.

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Tue Sep 1 21:00:09 PDT 1998

David wrote:

>I know this sounds odd....but I once took icecream and those sand-castle
>buckets, you know, the ones you buy and get 3 different sizes, anyway....
>let the icecream soften, scoop into buckets...refreeze...now the tricky part..
>just before serving, get a pot of hot water, hold bucket by handle in hot
>water
>then turn upside-down onto serving tray...do this with all three...connect
>with graham cracker bridges, play with it how ever...it's real cute.

This isn't so odd.  A friend of mine did a castle cake using the same idea.
She got the sand castle buckets, cleaned them out real well and used them
to bake cake mix in.  How she got it to cook properly is anyones guess.  It
ended up looking fantastic though.  When I wanted to make a castle cake, I
just used square and round chocolate cakes cut into appropriate shapes and
joined together.  Iced it, made banner to fit in the battlements and then a
friend and I made little marzipan dolls of various notables in the barony.
Sometimes the notable was more recognizable by the clothes they were
wearing.  A fun way to amuse everyone.
   Other memorable illusion foods were for Hrolf's last feast as Baron of
Ynys Fawr there was a man lying on his face made out of cake, iced to look
like it was wearing the barons gamberson and a knife sticking out of the
back with a note.  "He who pulls this sword from the bone shall be the true
Baron of Ynys Fawr", and for an Assasin's feast a severed head made from
sugar plate was presented to the Head table complete on the ceremonial
spiked board (One of my wooden sashimi boards with a long dail driven
through the middle.  The things we do for our art...*sigh*).  The top of
the head was removed and the 'brains' were made of turkish delight.
Grotesque, but very well done.  It recieved the screams of horror that we
were hoping for at any rate. =>

- -Sianan