SC - Bulgy tomato cans

Wed Sep 2 16:12:44 PDT 1998

> I'm surprised. Tomatoes are normally considered too acidic to support
> botulism. If that is the case, theoretically, then maybe this is something
> other than botulism, or perhaps the work being done to produce low-acid
> tomatoes  is impacting on the overall crop production. Maybe some of the
> agriculture mavens might be interested in commenting on this.
>
> Adamantius

I haven't seen any cans of tomatoes or tomato products go bad with the
exception of a couple cans which were frozen, bulged and damaged the side
seam of the can.  This wouldn't be botulism, because, IIRC, botulism
requires an anaerobic environment.

According to a now deceased microbiologist friend, botulism is rare in
tomatoes, but it can occur.  It occurs more often in tomato products which
have additives other than salt and water.

Bear