SC - Chicken Fricasee OT OOP

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Sep 9 07:32:00 PDT 1998

>In a message dated 9/2/98 5:29:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com
>writes:

><< My mom will stew up an old chicken, ...<snip>.....cover and simmer til
the
>biscuits are done. >>

>My gram taught me the same recipe except you use a spoon biscuit dough and
>bake it uncovered in the oven (Chicken Pot pie) or use a dumpling batter
and
>procede as you described (called Chicken and Dumplings).....and I thought
this
>was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing....<sigh>

>Ras

Hokay folks, I was taught "Chicken Pot Pie" in an entirely different way.

My family has streets named after it at the state capitol and a national
landmark called the Hans Herr House---so we go waaaaay back. We were the
neutrals in the Revolutionary war! Some of my Dad's relatives still
converse in that odd pennsylvania german lingo related to old german, when
they don't want the toursists to understand them! Herr's Potato Chips,
Tommy Herr the baseball player, Herr's Clear Toys, etc are all distant
relatives.  Ras, Can you remember Pot Pie as a thick chicken stew with
large square noodles, chicken, onion, carrots and celery? Very Peppery with
black pepper, unless that was my grandma's oddity. That is REAL Deutsch Pot
Pie. Noodles in the pot=pie in the pot, y'see.  Others call chicken 'n
biscuits, a venerable country tradition or chicken pie (with or without a
bottom crust) Dutch POT PIE, but that's  just plain immoral. Real
Pennsylvania Deutsch Bot Boi is made with large, square, handmade egg
noodles. If you're a real fraud you can buy "pot pie" noodles in the
grocery store. But I don't reccomend it. They are too thin. Never trust a
factory to feed a farm family right.

Now, to restore my faith in our shared heritage, Ras, tell us all what
rivels are! Or Schnitz und Knep. Or give us the dutch version of the
minimum accepable dishes on a table for sunday dinner. You can do it!

Aoife, ducking and running