SC -Simmering cream sauce, was Fried/fri

JEANNE STAPLETON jstaplet at du.edu
Thu Sep 3 10:18:38 PDT 1998

> In a message dated 9/2/98 11:13:11 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> allilyn at juno.com writes:
>
> > You are both talking about the butter/flour roux with milk, aren't you?
>
> Well, if I put milk in it, it becomes milk gravy, and that is always done just
> before serving.  I generally make a white sauce just before serving, too.  But
> a roux, now...  A roux generally is just flour and oil, cooked over low heat
> in a cast iron pan until it turns brown.  Then you add all the other
> ingredients.

The cool thing about a roux (which is just butter and flour, sometimes
with a spice like a dash of white pepper or cayenne) is that then you
can thicken almost *anything* with it--cream, milk, wine, broth, tomato
juice, etc.

That's one of those "cooking techniques" that I think everyone should
learn, so that when they spot such a combination, they can go "Aha!  I'm
making a roux and then blending it in...I cna do that!"

Berengaria