SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #914 (lebkuchen house)

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sat Sep 5 11:34:52 PDT 1998

Alys Katharine wrote:
>Now, posing a "Cariadoc-type" question, is there any evidence that
>lebkuchen was used to make structural subtleties?  There is, I believe,
>for gingerbread.  But what about lebkuchen?

In _Kunstgeschichte des Backwerks_ there is a wood cut of a lebkuchen house
on page 130. Says it dates from the end of the 15th C. and is a detail
taken from "Das Schlauraffenlandt" ot The Land of Milk and Honey. This is a
fantasy themed picture, but maybe there is some basis for the depiction of
the lebkuchen house is actual practice. Remember the gingerbread house in
Hansel and Gretl? How old was that folk tale before the brothers Grimm
wrote it out?

Valoise