SC - SC Another newbie question

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Sep 10 09:02:04 PDT 1998

Glo asks:

What books or steps should a newbie take to start getting the basics? I
have been to a few renassance (?) fairs and seen how a little of the
cooking is done but from what I hear on this list even the cooking
preparation is differnt. Am I right? Maybe I am trying to make this harder
than it really is. I hate being this stupid!!

Hi, Glo, and welcome to the Cook's List!

I too started out on this List with very little knowledge of Period
cooking, although I knew a fair amount about cooking in general. In the
last year, I've learned a lot from these people, and made a few friends. My
strategy has been to look and listen, and ask lots of questions. Through
listening, I've made a good start on an adequate library which I won't be
sorry I bought at a later date- funds are tight for me so I try to be
careful about spending. There are subjects relating to cooking about which
I know a fair amount, and I'll post on them, so don't be afraid to jump in
if you have an appropriate bit of information we could all use. Also, I
have had the opportunity to cook with Adamantius and Lord Ras at events
they were doing, and learned a fair amount that way. If you go to an event,
kitchen help is always welcome, and volunteering is a good way to make
friends and learn- most of the Cooks on this list will let us know if
they're doing a feast, and will be happy to give you more details about
their events.

If you're on line, Stefan's Florilegium is an excellent resource, as is
Caridoc's Miscelleny- Cariadoc sells his cookbooks at a very reasonable
cost, just above his costs, I believe.

Never call yourself stupid- ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but
stupidity can't be cured by anything short of death ;-)

Relax, have fun, and welcome again.

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,