SC - Spinach Tarte - answers

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Sep 10 18:54:42 PDT 1998

At 4:10 PM -0700 9/10/98, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
>Hi from Anne-Marie
>
>Rowan sez...
>> I redacted the recipie many years ago from 3 sources, which I can't bring
>> mind right now... So it is not a made up one.

That depends on the sources. Some secondary sources contain made up
recipes, or mistakes, or intepretations that are consistent with the words
of the original but very implausible in the historical context (I'm think
of a secondary source that interpreted "garnish with fruits" as lemons and
oranges--in England in the 15th c.).

Also, of course, if you redacted it from three sources, and it is not
consistent with any one of them, then it is in some sense a "made up"
recipe. Whether it is a plausible made up recipe (i.e. one that a period
cook would have been likely to make up) depends on part on how close the
three sources were. If one combined, say, Apicius and Hugh Platt, or
Manuscrito Anonimo and Le Menagier, ...  .

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/