SC - Re: Baconn'd Herring Breakfasts

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 12 11:28:17 PDT 1998

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> "SAUMON frais soit baconné,(1) et gardez l'eschine pour rostir; puis
> despeciez par dales cuites en eaue, et
> du vin et du sel au cuire; mengié au poivre jaunet ou à la cameline et en
> pasté, qui veult, pouldré (2)
> d'espices; et se le saumon est salé, soit mengié au vin et à la ciboule par
> rouelles.(3)
>
> (1)Fumé. Voy. Du Cange au mot Baco.
>
> (2)Peut-être faut-il lire pouldre en sous-entendant avec.
>
> (3)G. C. , 69."
>
> Translation please?

Very, very, loosely, and very, very briefly, it might read _something_ like this:

"fresh SALMON [belly?] is smoked, (1) and keep the chine for roasting;
then[despeciez par
dales???] cook in water and wine and salt; eat it with pepper jance or
cameline, [or in a?] pasty, if you wish you may powder it (2) with spices; and
if the salmon is salted, it is eaten as fillets with wine and onions (3).

 (1) Smoked.  The word "baconned" is used instead.

 (2) The word "pouldre" could be read implying "with" [as in "powder with"].

 (3) G. C. , 69."

If I knew where in Le Menagier this passage can be found, I might have a
better idea of what's going on. I can't seem to find it in a quick glance at
my copy, which is a different edition. My impression is that either the whole
fish, or the fillet, is smoked, then the relatively lean back section is
roasted, and the fattier belly section is cooked in water, _OR_ the fish is
divided first into back (chine) section and belly, along the lateral line,
with the belly being smoked and cooked in water, and the back being roasted.
Either way the distinction would make sense because the belly section, being
fattier, would absorb the smoke much more easily.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com