SC - Spinach Tarte

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Sat Sep 12 18:53:33 PDT 1998

> Hokay, let's go at this one more time.  Liquids can be measured by volume,
> because they tend to fill any container without leaving air pockets.  One
> liquid ounce of water is the same as one liquid ounce of cream by volume,
> however they are not the same by weight.  Dry measure is by weight.  One dry
> ounce of corn starch does not displace the same volume as one dry ounce of
> corn meal, but they weigh the same.
> BUT if one says 1 cup of anything, he uses a liquid measure, a measure of
> volume.  Even if it would be more accurate of him to have said 8 ounces, he
> said one cup.  So if I follow his recipe and it says 1 cup, I use a measuring
> cup, not a scale. There is no equivalent measure of weight.

And, that is what most people don't understand.  The pints a pound the world
around only refers to water (and only at standard pressure and temperature....but
let's not go there).  Only something with the exact same density/weight/etc. as
water would be the rule here.

> I wonder if Gallileo had this much trouble explaining about how both bocci
> balls fell at the same rate?

Probably.  But don't push it too far.  Remeber what happened to alot of
scientists in those days.

> I ain't even gonna try to explain how we have over two years until the
> millennium.

Yes, midnight Jan 1, 2001.  It's crazy when you realize how few people know
that.Brenna