SC - Thoughts on Food

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 13 17:39:19 PDT 1998

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/13/98 12:31:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:
>
> > I didn't know cow's tongue was weird.
> >
> >  Mordonna
>
> To paraphrase Forest Gump... Weird is as weird does Cuz.... It's a matter of
> what you're used to.
>
> Corwyn

I recall my sister coming home to New york City for Thanksgiving during her
first semester in college, and proudly cooking a weird and exotic dish none of
us had ever seen or heard of before. You take some green beans, some cream of
mushroom soup, and some Durkee French Fried Onioin Rings (canned), make a
casserole of these things, with the onion crunchies on top...now _that_ was weird!

Along similar lines, last year our son told us he wanted to go to a grown-up
restaurant with his friends and family, for his birthday, and said he wanted
steak. We looked into finding an affordable steak house (Peter Luger's,
undisputably the best steak house on the planet, can get very pricy for a
party of fifteen or so). We found a review from the New York Times on the Web,
written by a relatively junior staff food writer. He wrote that he had
encountered a bizarre but breathtaking appetizer that was exclusive to this
restaurant's menu. It seems the dish was called a Blooming Onion, and was sure
it would make a big hit when it caught on elsewhere in the country. He said it
was prepared according to a mysterious and esoteric recipe, that he wouldn't
go into in print, but he recommended a discussion with the manager, who would
be happy to explain how it is done. For those who may not be up on this staple
of nearly every steakhouse in the nation, it is a large Bermuda-type onion,
cut partially through into wedges, soaked a bit in ice water until it
separates into "petals" (this is commonly done with scallions in Chinese
restaurants to make brushes for sauce), and then the whole thing is crumbed
and deep fried, and eaten petal by petal, with a dipping sauce.

Zounds! Very esoteric! Wait til they hear about this in Chicago! ;  )

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com