SC - More boring pig facts-OT-OOP

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Sep 14 22:46:20 PDT 1998

I think it's interesting that the post "proves" that pork is now leaner by
mixing measurements so that there is no real comparison possible. For
example, it mentions that :

>According to USDA data, pork has leaned down considerably over a 27 year
period. An average loin cut in 1963 contained 76% of calories from fat.
Today's lean pork shows the responsiveness of the industry to market
demands.<

And does not bother to mention what percentage of calories come from fat
today, it just goes on to say:

>Is pork high in calories, as many people believe? Today's average pork
loin
cuts offer an average of fewer than 165 calories per three-ounce serving.

Is pork high in cholesterol, as many people beleive? The American Heart
Association recommends that Americans limit cholesterol intake to less than
300 milligrams daily. A three-ounce serving of roasted center loin pork
contains only 66 milligrams of cholesterol - just 22 percent of the
recommended maximum!<

Now tell me, people, who among us eats 3 oz. of lean pork at a sitting?
I'll do half a pound of bacon for breakfast, when I'm in the mood for both
bacon and breakfast. I love American advertising, it's SSOOOOOOOO
misleading!!!!!!

Thanks for the posting, Ras, I know it's not your fault.

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,