SC - I challenge you to a duel!

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 08:54:39 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/15/98 11:24:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, liontamr at ptd.net
writes:

<< One of the reasons I quit the list at the begining of the summer is the
 enourmous amount of stuff posted that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH
 MEDIEVAL FOOD. >>

Although there is a fair amount of other topics. I think that this list was
for SCA-cooking not Medieval-historical-cooking.  specifically. :-)

Anyway, I feel that the history of food is as important as the actual recipes.
For instance, in the past week we have learned that opossum is period, pigs
were fat in the MA except possibly English pigs, lard was made in Italy,
larding techniques, proper cooking temperatures for pork and other mets, lamb
cooking techniques, assorted uses for apples, etc. :-)

Your idea is a good one though. Let's have at it then. After we get the
barbaric English thingy out our blood we might try the same challenge with
more civilized period  recipes such as a some taken from al-Baghdadi .

Ras