SC - Re: Duel - Recipe Three

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 16 17:14:59 PDT 1998

>> Kerue out keyntlich kyrnels above, in the mannere of bataillyng, and
drye hem harde in an ovene other in the sunne. <<

Lots of others are doing the rest:  I take this to mean that, out of some
of the dough, I carve out quaint battlement strips, that, once dried
hard, I will use to decoate the edges of the boxes.

 I agree with Kat's 4 boxes, rather than Caitlen Ruadh's tube.  The
roller is a rolling pin.  Although, my 'castle' would be more attractive
if the middle 'keep' was tallest--say the length of my forearm rather
than 6".

The fourth filling, 'frytours blaunched', requires a forcemeat, or
stuffing.  Recipe 153, Frytour blaunched.  Take almaundes blaunched, and
grynde hem al to doust withouten eny lycour.  Do therto poudour of
gyngeuer, sugur, and salt; do thise in a thynne foile.  Close it therinne
fast, and frye it in oile, clarifie hony with wyne, & bake it therwith.

So, for the same stuffing, I'd used ground almonds, a pinch of ginger, a
smaller pinch of salt, and a big pinch of sugar ('cause that's how I like
it).  Without any liquid, I might need a lot more sugar, which would melt
and hold together the ground almonds.  I think perhaps I'd try this with
several different greens--just parsley, parsley and spinach, parsley,
spinach and whatever herbs I had around.  I'd probably make the juice of
the herbs and greens, rather than just putting in raw, chopped greens,
but that would give it some liquid.  OK, I can do that variation: chop 2
C. loosely packed greens and herbs, still wet from washing them.  Put
through a grinder, or blender (it smokes if you don't have enough
liquid), or food processor.  The F.P. doesn't work too well, because the
light-weight greens just get tossed around.  For our Cold Sage, last
week-end, Margaret and I finally put the stuff back in the blendar and
gave it a little water.  Worked fine.  So now, I add my powder douce.
Mix the spiced green (strained) juice with the almonds, and fill my
coffin.

Oh, and for the first, I'd be sure to make my cream of almonds with
blanched almonds so it would stay white.  (A few folks still don't know
that).

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com