SC - Challenges and education

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Sep 17 08:56:41 PDT 1998

> I will try
> to post 3 recipes which have not been redacted by someone else before.  In
> that is the true challenge.

> I had also thought that the purpose of the challenge was supposed to be a
> worked out version as opposed to a translation.  Translations are well and
> good but they do not a finished recipe make.  For instance after looking over
> the answers to the last 3 recipes, I still don't know, what amount of what
> ingredients to use or cooking temperatures, times, etc. Translations do not a
> recipe make. :-)

> Ras

A great thought. I do like the redaction challenges, even though I often don't
have the time to answer them, because it helps the less expirienced members of
this list see how to read the old recipes and gives them the opportunity to
see the variations on the same theme.

I do like your idea of posting a period recipe and then having people go home
and actually cook their versions and THEN post the results. So how about doing
that with the recipes you intend to post? Make two of them on-line redactions
and the third to be cooked before any interpetations are posted.

I don't know if I'll have time to test a recipe for a couple of weeks unless
you make it an Elizabethan finger food. :-{)}

Oh, and on that tangent, the Orange Marmalade inside candied Orange peel recipe
I was confused about? Well I took it home and we played with it and did it. It
will now be part of the buffet. Thanks, I believe it was Aiofe?, for posting it.

Yers,

Gunthar