SC - A fellow Ealdorereans experiment

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 15:58:04 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/17/98 5:40:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jgoldsp at aol.com
writes:

<< well here is my two cents on lard some people especially us city folk have
 hard time digesting lard it gives us very bad indigestion almost like a heart
 attack feeling so that is my only reason for not using lard. >>

This is curious indeed since the fats taken from bacon and salt pork are
'lard'.  Anyway, indigestion is not a concern I take into account when
redacting recipes. My only concern is flavor and lard makes a better flavor
when frying.

So far as the chicken goes, you are accurate  when stating that pre-cooking
the chicken would cause it to fall apart. However, parboiling is a totally
different process than boiling. In parboiling you only leave the meat in the
boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes then immediately remove them from the heat
and drain reserving the broth which becomes the base broth for the remainder
of the recipe. At last year's Will's I parboiled the tender young rabbits
about 10 to 15 minutes and then roasted them. They were immenently tender and
flavorful.

I certainly can see why you would have  skipped these steps but I would not
have done so particularly if my own medical problems were a reason. Each cook
does things a little differently. To leave something out because a cook
dislikes it (e.g. raisins or onions) does not make for accurate results when
redacting recipes, IMO.

The recipes sounded great and I'm sure they were. The gentle had asked for a
critique and he got it. To me he sounds as if he is trying to be as period as
possible and it was my intention to  help him do so.

Ras