SC - pickled mushroom recipe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 20 22:32:41 PDT 1998

>Third, I really wanted to pickle some mushrooms just because they are my
>favorite :)  I can't find a late period English source for it, however.
>Does anyone out there have a period source for pickled 'shrooms?
>I would be eternally grateful :)

>THLady Morgan MacBride
>Meridies

The following message is from the mushrooms-msg file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
- -----------

From: Emily Epstein <epsteine at spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 14:34:17 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: SC - Mushrooms!

Greetings from Alix Mont de fer.

<snip>
Here are a couple of recipes that I've served at events in the Shire of
Spinning Winds some years ago. The pickled mushrooms became sort of a
signature dish of mine-- they always seemed to go over well. These are
taken from my files with very little alteration- they were tinkered with
at Shire Cooks' Guild meetings over the course of several months before
the feast. Most of the work on the Funges was done by Lady Lisbet, who
probably has a surname by now, but I don't know what it is. For powder
fort we just used my usual formula (I keep it on hand, ready to use.)

Hurts and Promises, Feb. 17, 1990, Shire of Spinning Winds.

PICKLED MUSHROOMS (Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book p. 173)

Take your buttons, clean ym with a spunge & put ym in cold water as you
clean ym, then put ym dry in a stewpan & shake a handfull of salt over ym,
yn stew ym in their own liquor till they are a little tender; then strain
ym from ye liquor & put ym upon a cloath to dry till they are quite cold.
Make your pickle before you do your mushrooms, yt it may be quite cold
before you put ym in. The Pickle must be made with white-wine,
white-pepper, quarter'd nutmeg, a blade of mace, & a race of ginger.

Brine:
1 c. Rhine wine (or other white wine)
12 white peppercorns
1/8 t. grated ginger
1 nutmeg, broken
approx. 1/8 t. mace

Combine wine and spices in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer ca.10
minutes. Cool.

8 oz. mushrooms
1/2 t. salt (In period, they probably used more salt)

Put mushrooms in a heavy saucepan (Visions works well). Sprinkle with
salt. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently and stew them in their own
juices.  until they're tender and there's almost no juice left (about 10
min.) Drain off excess mushroom juice. Cool. Pack into jars, cover with
brine, and cover tightly.

<snip>

Ly. Alix Mont de Fer (m.k.a. Emily Epstein)
Shire of Caer Galen, Outlands
epsteine at spot.colorado.edu