SC - So I added Beer . . .

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Tue Sep 22 11:06:03 PDT 1998

I traveled this weekend to the far reaches of our Principality.  I
assisted two members of our household with their first feast.  Not
period in recipes, but at least in ingrediants, so a tasty effort for
their first feast (and only being members for almost a year). They were
serving a cabbage potage that came out more like cabbage soup than what
I have come to know as potage (correct me if I misunderstood what potage
is).  It was a beef stock base with cabbage parsnips and carrots as the
vegetables.  Smelled great, tasted ok.  They had seasoned using parsley
and very little rosemary.  the kitchen was lacking in spices, so . .
.having alot of homebrew with us this weekend, we added a small pitcher
of dopplebock as additional seasoning. (figure about 2-3 pints to a
large stockpot-the kind it takes 2 people to lift)  It made it go from
ok, to really tasty broth.  My questions are this:  does anyone have any
documentation on beer being added to soup or potage as flavoring?  If
so, what types?  I have heard of using beer OOP for things like brats,
fish, etc, but don't know about in period.

Lady Elisabeth, giving new meaning to the nickname Elisabreath (I like
strong dark beer-not too wonderful for the breath)