SC - garlic, chicken

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sun Sep 27 09:22:39 PDT 1998

Stefan says,

>>And I would be interested in additional good period recipes using
garlic.
It does look like baked garlic is a modern invention though. :-(<<

Not necessarily.  It would probably have been a peasant/commoner type
dish, if period.  Garlic, like onions, grows prolifically--anywhere I've
been--and might well have been a staple in cottage gardens as it is
mentioned in garden lists.  While there are mentions of raw garlic and
raw onion being eaten, and garlic mentioned in recipies, what's to
prevent the housewife from pulling a garlic bulb off the rope hanging
from the rafters, and setting it in warm ashes, near the coals?  You
don't need a recipe for it.

Unless we find some reference such as "Sargeant Whoosis did drop his
sword and was slain, for burning his fingers the night before, pulling
garlick from the coals" we aren't likely to know.  Or, Martha Stewart
saying she'd done her research and the first use of garlic being baked
was in the cutest little flowerpot in 1963.  Now, whether they made
teeny, tiny clay bakers for the garlic, and drizzled it with balsamic
olive oil, and...

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com