OT - Re: SC - Sad Relationships

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 27 17:55:11 PDT 1998

Ceandra of Østgardr wrote:

> Yes but he'll get fried if he doesn't catch any!

> Michael F. Gunter wrote:
> >

> > > Adamantius, off on a date with a Northern Pike!
> >
> > Dated her, Master A., I wouldn't reccommend her. She's a cold fish.

Yes, but as is frequently the case, warms remarkably with a sauce made from
white wine, orange juice, melted butter, and a little anchovy.

As it happens, I caught no significant gamefish, unless you count an
exceedingly juvenile largemouth bass (maybe 4 inches long) which I nearly lost
due to a fit of uncontrollable laughter. This creature hit my Rapala plug
(about half as big as the fish itself) three or four times before it succeeded
in actually getting any of it into its mouth, and then proceeded to get tough
with me, doing all the stuff black bass do, such as trying to pull my line
under a log, trying to wrap my line around said log, trying to cut my line on
a rock, and ultimately trying several giant leaps in attempts to throw the
plug out of its mouth. When I finally succeeded in landing this terrifying
beast (the battle, of course, was on an epic scale), it looked me in the eye,
and said, "Lemme go, ya big galoot! Me big brudder's gonna haul ya inna da
drink if'n youse don't."

Actually this could have been, quite literally, an epic battle: ultralight
spinning tackle, an artificial lure, and four-pound test line. Hook something
big on that and it's quite a challenge to land it. Which is, I think, why
people do this sort of thing instead of going to the fish market.

I did briefly hook, and lose, a fairly massive smallmouth bass (infinitely
superior in fighting ability and in almost every other conceivable way to its
cousin the largemouth bass), and had a brief encounter with what I am assured
was probably a walleye, based on its behavior.

I'd actually been planning to use something like known period recipes for such
of the fish as I was likely to encounter that had European counterparts, if I
had actually caught and kept any of these mighty beasts. As it happens the
opportunity didn't arise. This time...I believe Hurricane Georg is having some
long-distance effects on the weather.

Adamantius,
Østgardr, East
- --