SC - my first redaction is nearly done

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Tue Sep 29 07:31:45 PDT 1998

Good morning,

For some reason this weekend I felt obligated to thoroughly
clean out my freezer. As I was juggling several packages
of venison tenderloin, a full bottle of good vodka, and
a ziploc of ice-cube chicken stock chunks, a small
package of boneless chicken breasts slid out of the freezer,
bounced off my armload, causing me to drop all but the
vodka, (THANK GOD) and somehow knocked the copy of Cindy
Renfrow's TATEOM 1 off the counter, open, and onto the floor.

The page was open to Vyaund de ciprys Ryalle and the chicken
breasts were sitting right on top.

If that isn't a clearer indication from The Powers That
Be that I should finally try redacting a food recipe and
make it all on my own, I don't know what is. So I did it.
But in my haste to comply with the Whims of Fate, I
merely read through the original and tried cooking
directly from that.

In all it was quite successful. My husband ate it without
complaint, not knowing it was period, and I'm sure I could
easily use it to feed more people. Redacting the recipe
after the fact, however, is sort of a pain. I know what
I did but I don't want that to influence what I should have
done.

So, there are still three words in the recipe troubling
me. I can't get through to the OED website (I think they're
getting wise to me) and my dictionary doesn't have good
word origins. Can anyone confirm these guesses for me if
they have a spare moment? Please? I've indidcated them between
the asterisks (the text is from page 98 of TATEOM 1, by Renfrow,
or recipe lxxxiiij of Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books)

  Word 1 --  "Take [th]e to *del* yolks..."

A "del" is just a single piece or part (presumably fraction,
would also fit), right?

  Word 2 -- "late it boyle wyl tille it be as *chargeaunt* as it may"

"Chargeaunt" in this context would mean thick? My minimal
cooking skills tells me this is essentially a sauce reduction,
so this is what I did by instinct.

  Word 3 -- "and whan [th]ow dressist [th]i mete, *leche* it"

"Leche" means slice or cut? That's the only thing that
makes sense. There'd be too much syrup to cover several
breasts whole, but early in the recipe it tells you to
"hew it small", so it's already been cut up.

And one final question...once I'm done with this redaction
and my preparation instructions...what do I do with it? :)
Go on to the next one and try to use that venison tenderloin
that I was juggling from the freezer (it *is* nearly deer
season again)? Give this one as gifts to my SCA friends for
Christmas? What do you do when you're done?

Sincerely,

Jasmine

Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm (Metro-Detroit area of Michigan)
jasmine at infoengine.com or g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
- -- Hroswith of Gandersheim