SC - potatoes / FAQ

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Sep 30 00:47:11 PDT 1998

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Korrin S DaArdain wrote:

> Technological advances not withstanding, cookery today is basically what
> it has been since Neolithic times. People still roast, grill, and bake
> their foods, using dry-heat techniques known, at least in rudimentary

Actually, I'm not 100% certain that baking was generally avaiable in
most Neolithic cultures. I do know that ovens was not generally used
even in all Iron Age cultures. Anyone know more on this? For fun (extra
credit?) one might also discuss how cooking changed when pots (of any
kind) became avaiable to Paleolithic groups.

> introduced crop species. Such is certainly the case in the United States,
> where agriculture is built on immigrant crop species. Not a single major
> U.S. crop is indigenous.

Corn, pumpkins, and some species of beans? I suppose it depends on what
you consider to be a major crop.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
Unfortunately, development was stopped on the production version of
[life], and we've been supporting and kluging the demo version for the
last 4 billion years.  -- Paul Tomblin