SC - Barley Water

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Sep 3 08:05:01 PDT 1998

>Hey, Lady Aoife! You might know about this...isn't barley water flavored
with
>lemon syrup, or lemon and sugar, what is known in Edwardian (as in Edward
VII;
>I'm way ahead a' ya) references as Lemon Squash?

>Adamantius

Nope. Lemon Squash (or orange or other flavors, for that matter) is a sweet
beverage concentrate, IIRC, and Lemon flavored barley beverage is called,
*surprise* Lemon Barley Water. That is basically water thickened with small
amounts of white barley (the starchy water, drained from boiling the
barley), cooled and flavored with Lemon Juice and sugar. You will find
various references to it in children's literature where it is universally
loathed. It must be an aquired british taste. Mary Poppins---the movie--has
 a song, basically an advert. for a Nanny by the 2 children. It begins "If
you want this choice position/have a cheery disposition/ and of which a
part goes thusly:  "treat us like a son and daughter/and never smell of
barley water.").

I guess the trivia portion of my brain is up and running again!

I must go. I have 2 grants to write this morning and it's already past 10.

In haste

Aoife