SC - Low acid tomatoes

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 2 15:27:21 PDT 1998

Diana Skaggs wrote:

>      Adamantius said, ..."Maybe some of the agriculture mavens might be
>      interested in commenting on this..."
>
>      "Putting Food By" 1983 edition (don't remember who wrote it off-hand)
>      discusses low-acid tomatoes and recommends that home canners boost acidity
>      by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to pints of tomato products and 1
>      tablespoon to quarts.  Leanna

And then, of course, most recipes calling for home-canned or tinned tomatoes
involve some method of reducing the acid content in the finished product,
either sugar (yes, I know that doesn't reduce the acid content; work with me
here) a soda of some kind, or long cooking. Ironic, I'd say. I wonder if the
technology of the genetic engineers is advancing faster than that of the canners.

Failing that, for possible reasons as to why people's commercially canned
tomato products are going bad, I adopt the "I dunno." line.

Adamantius