SC - Apician Teriyaki Chicken 8-); and ostrich sauces

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 13:15:32 PDT 1998

On 9/3/98 12:01 PM you wrote:

>From:	margali at 99main.com (Marilyn Traber)
>[she asked for pullus leucozomus, not frontonianum]
>margali
>
>Gerekr at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Phlip wanted the latin.  Here is Apicius 250 from the Flower & Rosenbaum
>> text and their translation.
>>
>> F&B, p.164, #12 (Vehling #250(?))
>> Pullum Frontonianum: pullum praedura, condies liquamine oelo mixto,
>> Have fun,
>> Chimene & Gerek (who was right!, 8-))

true, but the fronto is the only thing that even vaguely resembles "fried
chicken".  I'll look again for "leucozomos"

Ah.  p. 164 (#154) Pullus leucozomus: accipies pullum et ornas ut supra.
aperies illum a pectore, accipiat aquam et oleum Hispanum abundans.
agitatur ut ex se ambulet et humorem consumat. postea, cum coctus fuerit,
quodcumque porro remanserit inde levas. piper aspargis et inferes.

Chicken with white sauce. [does not include white sauce in this recipe!]
Take a chicen and truss as above [as for chicken in liquamen, which I
can't see quickly]. Open it at the breast. Fill  it with water and plenty
of Spanish oil. <While cooking> move it <frequently>, so that it gives
off its juice and absorbs the liquied.  When done take it out of whatever
is left of the liquid, sprinkle with pepper, and serve.

That sounds like stewed chicken, even if stewed-from-the-inside, to me...

And on the subject of "cornflour", the edition of F&B I have is printed
in England, 1958, marked "not for sale in the US" and has this to say
about "amulum":
     "Most of the sauces in our book are thickened with "amulum." We have
translated this word for the sake of convenience as 'cornflour,' for this
is the starch most frequently used for this purpose to-day.  The "amulum"
was, however, wheat-starch."  and proceed to give a long quote from Pliny
about the manufacture, grades and qualities of WHEAT-starch.

Snif, nobody's even commented on the "teriyaki" idea, 8-(.

Chimene