SC - Bulgy tomato cans

Mary Kay Roberts mkr at execpc.com
Fri Sep 4 06:48:51 PDT 1998

>The cans are not supposed to permit anything in or out, and so if
there's<br>
>fermentation going on (ie that's the fizzy/bubbly/burbly/gas
buildup),<br>
>either the food was not sterile going in, or the can allowed
something in. <br>
>either way the canner is at fault--give 'em hell! ;)<br>
Ok, so now I have to play devil's advocate here - I disagree that the
canner is always at fault.  It MAY be the canner - but what about
the people who whip them?  Or the guy who puts them on the
shelves?  A lot of time, cans go bad because there is a split in the
can somewhere that allows air to get into the can - it could be a faulty
can (therefore the CAN manufacturer), or the shipper or retailer who drop
kicked the can across the floor.  All it takes is a tiny pinprick to
cause the problem.<br>
Please do not always assume that big business is at fault.<br>
Moira</font></html>