SC - Question for Ras and another Garlicky Chicken

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Sep 5 20:13:28 PDT 1998

At 6:31 PM -0500 9/5/98, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
>Okay, okay.  I was just trying to save bandwidth on a previously posted
>recipe.  Since so many apparently missed it, here is the original recipe
>courtesy of Lord Ras.

>>I will provide "documentation"
>> soon.
>> This is done on the fly and I haven't finished preparing my actual post
>> for
>> this recipe.

Did the followup post happen? I was wondering what the originals looked
like, and in particular what you were interpreting as phyllo.

People who like chicken with garlic may also want to try (apologies if I
posted it earlier):

Recipe for Thûmiyya, a Garlicky Dish
Andalusian p. A-8

Take a plump hen and take out what is inside it, clean that and leave
aside. Then take four ûqiyas of peeled garlic and pound them until they are
like brains, and mix with what comes out of the interior of the chicken.
Fry it in enough oil to cover, until the smell of garlic comes out. Mix
this with the chicken in a clean pot with salt, pepper, cinnamon, lavender,
ginger, cloves, saffron, peeled whole almonds, both pounded and whole, and
a little murri naqî'. Seal the pot with dough, place it in the oven and
leave it until it is done. Then take it out and open the pot, pour its
contents in a clean dish and an aromatic scent will come forth from it and
perfume the area. This chicken was made for the Sayyid Abu al-Hasan and
much appreciated.

1 hen	1 t cinnamon	15 threads saffron in 1 T water
5 oz of garlic	2 t lavender	1/2 c whole almonds, 7/8 c crushed
6 T oil	1 t ginger	1/4 c murri (see p. 3-4)
1/2 t salt	1/4 t cloves	~1 c flour + water = dough to seal
1/2 t pepper

Crush garlic. Fry garlic and giblets from chicken in oil on medium heat for
about 15 minutes. Put all ingredients except dough in the pot. Mix flour
and water to make the dough, roll it into a strip, put it on the edge of
the dish and jam the lid onto it to seal the lid on the pot. Bake at 350° 1
hour.

Charles Perry, who translated this, notes that four ûqiyas of garlic (1/3
of a pound) works out pretty close to the 40 cloves called for in a famous
Provençal dish. "Leave out the spices and the almonds, and you'd about have
poulet à 40 gousses d'ail."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/