SC - Mead

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 7 14:35:31 PDT 1998

Hannah said:

I've just got on to this mailing list, and haven't really got into the
thick of cooking (I can't do that very well :-).  But I ran across a
recipe for Honey Mead, and thought it looked good.  I am hoping to make
it, but my boyfriend warned me about bacteria that can occur in the
fermenting process.  Has anyone made it before?  Have they any tips as
to how to go about it, I'm sure that someone with experience help an
in-experienced one (like me) a lot.  Also, as I'm 20 I haven't got much
experience with ligure, what should I expect with it. I don't really
want any unpleasantness, since I have to wait a week for the fermenting.

==================

Greetings Hannah,

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list. You do not need to be either an accomplished
cook or a medieval cook to participate here. I, myself, am still learning
the fundamentals of cooking, much less the cooking of medieval foods or
cooking for tens of people.

As far a mead goes, I have found mead to be much easier to make than
other fermented beverages such as ciders. For a fair amount of info on
meads, you might want to take a look at some of the files in the BEVERAGES
section of my Stefan's Florilegium files.

These files include:
mead-msg         (113K)  8/ 5/96    Making mead. Honey based alcoholic beverage.
meadery-list-msg  (17K)  8/28/98    Lists and reviews of commercial meaderies.
  (may not be at the website for another week or so)
brewing-msg       (43K)  6/29/98    General brewing info and sources.

There are also a number of non-alcoholic medieval and SCA drinks in this file:
beverages-NA-msg (109K)  5/29/98    Non-alcoholic beverages.

Most meads will take six months to a year to age properly before becoming
suitable for drinking, although there are some faster meads. If you are in a
hurry I would encourage you to look at other beverages, alcoholic and non-
alcoholic.

I also have sections on FEASTS, FOOD and FOOD-SWEETS which might be of interest
to you. The FOOD one, in particular, has a number of test medieval recipes and
redactions.

My files can be found on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net