diabetics Re: SC - A rather unusual request

Robin Carrollmann harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 9 06:46:49 PDT 1998

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> Diabetics with type II (adult onset) diabetes can often treat their disease
> with diet.  BUT it requires a rigid adherence to a narrow diet, and it is
> never a cure.

Exercise (and often weight loss) is also necessary for proper control in
Type 2. I've shed 119 pounds in the 2 years since I was diagnosed, and
have watched my blood descend to near-normal levels without taking meds or
insulin. I am lucky in that I can tolerate most foods, even small
quantities of chocolate and pizza.  I know that there are other Type 2s
who cannot eat certain foods, such as potatoes or rice, without having
their blood sugar soar.  It is a condition that varies *tremendously* from
person to person. On the diabetic lists and newsgroups, YMMV (Your Mileage
May Vary) appears in nearly every message.

> Diabetics with type I diabetes (insulin dependent) have to do a careful
> balancing act with the insulin, the caloric intake, and the proper balance of
> protein, fat, and carbohydrate.  For type I diabetics, the timing of meals is
> crucial.

It's important for Type 2s, as well, though not as urgent (unless they're
on insulin or certain pills).  I can experience mild hypoglycemia (low
blood sugar) if I'm careless about the timing food and exercise.  Did it
just this weekend, as a matter of fact.  I had an early breakfast of
fast-acting carbohydrates (waffles and oj), a delayed morning snack, and I
had been walking around a flea market for nearly an hour and a half.  I
was just about to ask my husband to get my apple out of his backpack when
I noticed that my hands were shaking violently.  Foolish of me to let it
happen, I know, but after the apple (and some bagel chips for insurance) I
felt just fine.  A Type 1 might have had much more serious consequences if
she'd been careless like that.

> Mordonna (type I)

Brighid ni Chiarain (Type 2)
Robin Carroll-Mann