SC - Newbie question.....Sourdough...

Wed Sep 9 13:07:36 PDT 1998

> I'm new to the list and the SCA (just got my card yesterday)...
> Anyway, I was wondering if Sourdough was considered Period....

The Egyptians discovered sourdough about 3000 BC, so I would have to say it
is period.

> Also, along the same "bread" lines....what would you use as a "period"
> equivalent to what we use for yeast today ??

The Romans used wine must to leaven bread.  Pliny the Elder commented on the
Goths using ale barm to leaven their bread and that it was lighter and
tastier than the Roman bread.

Sourdough (levain) and ale barm were probably the most common sources of
yeast in the Middle Ages.

> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...
>
> Thanx !
>
> Jeff (who has only just begun to think about a period name)
>

>From the questions, it sounds as though you have an interest in baking.  I
do a little baking now and then and its always a pleasure to hear from
someone with similar interests.

Bon Chance,

Bear