SC - Re: OOP? Candy Bubbles

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 10 17:19:41 PDT 1998

Greetings!  The original poster included a line from the "expert" to
the effect of "Don't try this at home".  I suspect it was because the
process is a bit more complicated than it seems, plus the possible
danger of working with melted sugar.  I found, purely by accident at a
Borders outlet store, _Sugar Work_ (Blown- and Pulled-Sugar Techniques)
by Peter Boyle.  He shows the equipment needed and the processes used
for making a variety of things from blown (and pulled) sugar, including
stemmed glassware, fruits, large and small vases, etc.  The book is
fascinating and gives one a bit of respect for such fanciful work.

As to "period"?  I _think_ there is evidence for pulled sugar, at
least, in late period (Italy).  Don't know if blown sugar might have
been done.  The molten sugar syrup was known (Curye on Inglysch, plus
the 13th c. Anonymous Andalusian cookbook), and glass blowers existed.
Did they put the two together?  One would have to do a bit more delving
into the descriptions of feasts and banquets in Italy.

Alys Katharine