SC - SC Another newbie question

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 18:53:04 PDT 1998

<< What books or steps should a newbie take to start getting the basics? I
 have been to a few renassance (?) fairs and seen how a little of the
 cooking is done but from what I hear on this list even the cooking
 preparation is differnt. Am I right? Maybe I am trying to make this harder
 than it really is. I hate being this stupid!! >>

You're not stupid, you just haven't had access to the information to learn it
yet.

As far as Ren Faire cooking goes, unless you've been to different faires than
I have it bears little resemblance to real medieval cooking.  The vast
majority of it is either ethnic (Bangers, bridies, meat pies), things under
different names (dragon wings = modern buffalo wings, chips = modern French
fries), or basic fairground food of one sort or another.  I don't know why no
one who food merchants at RenFaires does any research and cooks from any
period recipes, but they are probably afraid nobody will eat it.  (Sometimes
the patrons are scared even of the normal stuff.  I once heard a lady ask if
there was any "normal" food at the faire while standing in front of a booth
that served barbecued chicken and sauteed mushrooms, along with fish and
chips.  Other booths sold Chinese takeout, pizza, and stuffed baked potatos.)

You've taken one good step already, by joining this list.  You'll learn a lot
here.  Also, look for the 2nd edition of Pleyn Delit, but Constance Hieatt.
An excellent book for beginning medieval cooks.  If you encounter books called
"Fabulous Feasts" or "Medieval Holidays and Festivals" or "Take a Buttock of
Beef", avoid them at all cost.  The first two were written by a woman who
later admitted that she had frankly made up some of the recipes, and the third
is apparently just as bad.

For that matter, avoid any "medieval cookbook" that doesn't give the original
recipe at least in translation, or even a source for where you could find the
original recipe.  Without that information, the only thing you have to go on
to prove it is actually a medieval recipe is the author's say-so.

Brangwayna