SC - Spinach Tarte from Menagier-Recipe to follow later

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 11 11:30:19 PDT 1998

At 11:25 AM -0400 9/11/98, Nick Sasso wrote:
>I do apologize for sucha 'spoon-teaseism'.  I will, with much haste post
>said recipe for all.  I am at work, and may not have access until later in
>the weekend, but it will be pposted in its original and redacted entirety.

While you're waiting, here's our redaction (and the original) from the
Miscellany:
- --
Spinach Tart
 Goodman p. 278/23 -"A Tart" (GOOD)

To make a tart, take four handfuls of beet leaves, two handfuls of parsley,
a handful of chervil, a sprig of fennel and two handful of spinach, and
pick them over and wash them in cold water, then cut them up very small;
then bray with two sorts of cheese, to wit a hard and a medium, and then
add eggs thereto, yolks and whites, and bray them in the cheese; then put
the herbs into the mortar and bray all together and also put therein some
fine powder. Or instead of this have ready brayed in the mortar two heads
of ginger and onto this bray your cheese, eggs and herbs and then cast old
cheese scraped or grated onto the herbs and take it to the oven and then
have your tart made and eat it hot.

1/3 lb spinach and/or beet greens, chopped	2 T dried or 1/4 c fresh
chervil	1/2 t ginger
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped	5 eggs	1/2 t salt
1 or 2 leaves fresh fennel, or 	6 oz mozzarella cheese	9" pie crust
   1 t fennel seed, ground in a mortar	6 oz cheddar

Chop or grate greens and cheese and mix filling in a bowl. Make pie crust
and bake at 400° for about 10 minutes. Put filling in crust and bake about
40 minutes at 350°. We usually substitute spinach for beet leaves, dried
chervil for fresh, and fennel seed for fresh fennel leaves because of
availability.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/