SC - Question - Recipes for the low budget

Kiriel & Chris kiriel at cybergal.com
Fri Sep 11 17:57:07 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> > I am trying to do my own
> > research into "proper period" medieval cookery and am having a very
> > difficult time.  Also, I have a VERY small kitchen (and budget) and am
> > unable to try most of the recipes I come across.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Failenn Brecc

Dear Failenn

Don't let the small kitchen put you off~  About 7 years ago, I lived for
a while in a one-bedroom flat.  My only cooking source was one of those
benchtop ovens. It had two hotplates, only one of which worked if the
oven was on. I had a little bar-fridge which didn't even have a freezer
section.

>From this kitchen I catered a principality event for 160 people. I must
admit, what made the difference was lashing out to by a reconditioned
chest freezer - cost me $150 and is still going.  It sat in the garage
at the time - no room in the flat.

Don't be discouraged.  The budget can be more of an issue but I
encourage you to try period dishes as part of your everyday meals, which
is the most budget conscious way to manage.  If you need to, think
laterally with your space; maybe you can cook outside on a fold-up
table, using a gas barbequeue?

Kiriel