SC - Beets- A recipe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 18:58:55 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/11/98 2:29:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca writes:

<< GO FOR THE BEET GREENS!!!   (not a criticism -- I understand the
 difficulties in procuring them)  Beet greens have a much milder
 flavor than spinach,  >>

Agreed.  However, I use Swiss chard in this recipe.  Swiss chard has the same
scientific name as beets and is in fact a bulbless beet.  Swiss chard is
readily available at most supermarkets year around.  It is easily grown in the
home garden.  The stalks can be used in any recipe that calls for asparagus.
It also has the amazing property of not going all mushy when you can it.
(<sigh> 15 quarts today and twice that many to can on Sunday)!

Since there is some confusion about the exact time beets with bulbs were
introduced in period, I almost always use Swiss chard when redacting most of
the beet recipes from period cookery manuals. They are one of my favorite
foods. :-)

Betes (A Recipe for Swiss Chard)
(Period-like)
Copyright L. J.  Spencer, Jr.

2 pounds Swiss Chard
1/2 cup liquid (your choice of water, beef or chicken broth)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cubebs
A pinch of ground ginger
2 strips bacon, fried crisp
Red wine, Cider or balsamic vinegar

Cut stalks of chard into 1 inch pieces.  Slice chard leaves into 1 inch wide
strips crosswise.

Bring liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Drop Swiss chard stalks and
leaves into boiling liquid.  Add salt, sugar, cubebs and ginger.  Cover.
Reduce heat to a simmer.  Continue cooking for 15 mins.  Remove from heat and
drain.

Place chard on a serving dish.  Sprinkle with bacon then sprinkle a small
amount of vinegar over the top.  Serves 4.

Ras