SC - RE: SC-Hulwa

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Sep 11 21:33:41 PDT 1998

At 4:27 PM -0400 9/11/98, Nick Sasso wrote:
>        Duke Cariadoc suggested to Drake to make Hulwa out of his "molasas
>honey".  I just recently tasted Hulwa for the first time and it was quite
>good, if a bit pasty.
>
>        I have a question though.  What excactly is hulwa?  On the
>ingredients list for the candy it said tahini, hulwa....etc.  Is it a
>flavoring?  Does it come from a plant?  Or am I
>missunderstanding/missremembering what I read?
>        Alys D.

"Hulwa" means, roughly, "sweets." Hence Halvah and the Indian Hulawat,
which are entirely different, are etymologically the same.

The particular recipe I was thinking of, which is in the MIscellany, is a
period Islamic candy along the lines of divinity. The ingredients are
sugar, egg white, water, and whatever you are binding together (chopped
nuts, for example). There are also versions using honey and dibs (date
syrup).

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/