SC - ham

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 12 17:49:00 PDT 1998

Phlip said:
>The thing is, many of these recipes can be cooked in small quantities. I've
>just been going through Milham's Platina, and reading such recipes as VI
>46, entitled "Ham"

Thanks for the ham recipe, Phlip. I don't have many in my ham-msg file. More
would be nice as ham if fairly easy for folks to get. Anyone got some good
ones, preferable with the original recipe/description?

After conversations on this list and trying a different H.E.B. grocery than
my regular one, I have found and bought a Smithfield ham. I'm looking forward
trying it with some period recipes as well as using the regular cheaper,
water-injected modern processed hams.

I note that the instructions on the Smithfield ham specifically mention
boiling it to remove some of the salt. Also, unlike the first grocery
I saw these at, this one didn't bother to put the ham in a refrigerated
grocery case.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net