SC - Thoughts on Food

Tue Sep 15 06:03:54 PDT 1998

> Mind you, if you send me the menu (privately of course), I could
> probably debunk half the menu in a flash.  Aussie BBQ haute cuisine is
> rather an oxymoron I'm afraid, especially as the main dish on offer is
> burned lamb chops drenched in Tomato sauce, with plenty of beer and
> the occasional blowfly.....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drake Morgan,
> Politarchopolis, Lochac. (Canberra, Australia)

As I understood it, true Aussie BBQ is a cattle station thing not unlike
West Texas ranch BBQ.  You take a side of beef, spit it out, slow roast it
over a fire pit for most of a day while basting it with the cook's secret
BBQ sauce.

Now you're telling me the cook's down under can't BBQ a lamb chop without
getting it wrong.  Why even the Greeks can BBQ lamb, as witness my last trip
to Yanni's in Denver.

I can't saw you have destroyed my faith in Aussie cooking.  I've always
thought Outback probably was to Aussie cooking what TexMex style restaurants
are to real Mexican cooking (a cheap, but not necessarily inexpensive, and
sometimes, not very good, subset).

Bear