SC - A question about larding

Craig Prince house51 at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 15 06:55:15 PDT 1998

Hi,
        You asked about larding needles. It has been a long time since I
used one. Well what it is used for is to lace a lean pice of meat with a
little fat. Fat is always good for flavour.

For memory there are several varieties of larding needles, you should be
able to find one in any reputable kitchenwares shop. The one that I am
familiar with is a long stainless steel needle (knitting needle size) that
is hollow. Fat is inserted into one end and then you insert the needle under
the skin or just jab it in and then press down on the plunger in the other
end, much the same as a hypodermic needle.

At 19:29 9/15/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello there all,
>
>  I'm about to sound real uneducated here for a little while.  I was
>reading through some recipes in a cookbook and I found a reference to a
>larding needle (They told me to use one to insert piece of bacon fat into a
>piece of steak).  Now I like sewing and embroidery, but I've never heard of
>a larding needle, what it looks like or how to use one.
>  Could someone please enlighten me as to the nature of this edible embroidery?
>Thanx
>-Sianan

>Marina Denton
>sianan at geocities.com
>
>        Logic is a systematic way of arriving at the wrong conclusion in
>	confidence.

Craig (42RHRA, Grey Company)
http://www.iinet.net.au/~house51/42RHRA.html
http://www.iinet.net.au/~house51/