SC - Diet - was (More boring pig facts-OT-OOP)

needlwitch@msn.com needlewitch at email.msn.com
Wed Sep 16 00:08:04 PDT 1998

Just because you wander,
doesn't mean you're lost.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Mordonna22 at aol.com <Mordonna22 at aol.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 1998 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: SC - More boring pig facts-OT-OOP

>In a message dated 9/15/98 4:20:07 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>sunnie at exis.net writes:
>

>>  Okay, I've been keeping out of this one, but time to shed a little light
at
>>  least.  I'm on a ketagenic diet.
>
>Highly dangerous!
>Over production of Ketones damages kidneys and heart tissue.
>This diet is along the lines of Phen-Fen.
>Keto-acidosis is the production of ketones as a by product poison of the
body
>if there are not enough carbohydrates in the diet.  As a diabetic, I have
>learned not to do extreme diets, because they almost always lead to keto-
>acidosis, and my kidneys are already strained.  ANY unbalanced diet, (the
>infamous grapefruit diet, for instance) that focuses on one food group can
>lead to this highly dangerous condition.  There is only one way to lose
weight
>that works, and that is a well-balanced diet and a carefully planned
program
>of excercise.
>
>I have found out that if they are just selling books, and not a "diet
progam"
>or "diet foods" anybody can print anything that is not downright libelous
and
>it is allowed.  So just because you read it don't make it so.  Talk to your
MD
>before starting on any diet.
>
>Mordonna

Huzzah! I too am a diabetic and have attended college nutrition courses
during my culinary training. I was tempted to say something but felt leary
of stepping on any toes. Everything Mordonna said jives with what i have
learned. Playing with Ketones is dangerous. Yes, you lose weight, but that
is because your body is eating itself away in a not good for you fashion.
Enough said, I and my soapbox will now crawl back under the rock :-)
Thorbjorn the Cook