SC - Fish at Feasts

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 10:10:32 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/16/98 1:47:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sianan at geocities.com writes:

<< I got changed pretty quick into my normal garb,
 ran back to the kitchen and served forth a Patina of Soles.  What do you
 know, everyone ate it.
 Anything for my art
 -Sienna >>

I have bad experiences with fish at feasts (a certain eel pie and a sweet fish
custard come to mind) BUT when I personally have cooked and served fish at a
feast it has always gone over well and no leftovers. :-)

When the decision to serve fish is being made, it is one of the few areas
where I take modern tastes into account.  Although I don't serve a non-period
dish at the main feast, I always serve fish simply prepared> say boiled (e.g.,
sauteed) in olive oil or dredged in flour and fried.  By far the biggest
consideration when looking at fish as a potential course at a feast is expense
but choosing whiting or cod usually a good alternative to more expensive
brands such as salmon or flounder.  Including shrimp or scallops also is not
prohibitively expensive if they are chopped utilized in some of the extant
frittour type recipes from Apicius or other period sources.

It is always a big hit and I have only received 2 complaints.  One was from a
person who was allergic to fish.  And one was from someone who wanted more
when there was no more to serve. I suggested that the first person not eat the
fish and  invited the second to join the cooks who were picking over the left
over bits and pies in the pan. :-)