SC - A fellow Ealdorereans experiment

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 17 13:26:48 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/17/98 2:18:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca writes:

<< Greetings all,

 I have been asked to post this to the list for any and all comments/opinions
 on this. I will post your findings on the E-List if thats alright.>>

Post  my comments anywhere you like. :-)

 << I'm one of those painful people who attempt to prepare mostly period
repasts at
 >any outdoor event I attend. >>

And I'm one of those people who prepares any main feast, whether in or
outdoors, in a period manner. (Of course since lunch and breakfast are not
period as we know them, I'm sometimes merely period-like in those areas. :-))

  >46. Small birds like larks, quails, thrushes and others.

 <<Pluck...<snip>...boil them a bit,...<snip>...Eat  them with fine salt. in a
pie, with harvest cheese put in the belly.>>

The recipe as prepared sounds very delicious BUT  I am curious as to why the
above steps were left out of the recipe?

 >150. Watercress greens
 >
 >....<snip>.....boil it with a fistful of chards, ...<snip>.....and then (if
you wish) boil it in [almond] milk. ...<snip>....

 The use of chard as indicated in the recipe does much to mellow this recipe.
I would highly recommend its inclusion. After it has been simmered, remove
from the pan, drain; and chop. If Swiss chard is unavailable, beet greens
would give the same flavor. Also try the fish day version sometime. It is
exquisitely flavorful.

 37. Scallops.

Yummmm!!!

 >154. White Garlic [Sauce].

<<Crush garlic and bread, and steep in verjuice.>>

A smoother sauce can be obtained if you crush the garlic and bread crumbs
together in a mortar until a paste is formed.

 Scillian Eggplant

 It may  or may not be period but it sounds great. :-)

 >12. Almond cumin dish.

 <<Cook your chicken well in water,...<snip>....and brown it in lard.>>

It was no doubt 'stunning' but I noticed that you eliminated the initial
perboiling stage for the as you did in the other poultry recipe. In this one
it appears as if the broth used later is gotten from this initial boiling. I
would also recommend using lard to fry the chicken in the nezxt time around.
There is nothing that can satifactorily reproduce the excellent flavors this
fat  produces.

 28. Veal ragout.

 The intial roasting would add some flavor and , once again I fail to see how
flavor is improved by substituting olive oil for the superior fat, lard. Try
including step one and switching to lard the next time and they will not only
be smacking their lips in ectasy but also rithing in an oral orgasm. :-)

All in all, this feast sounds as good as any I have prepared or eaten in the
SCA. Vivats for a jub well done! :-)

Ras