SC - A fellow Ealdorereans experiment

Jgoldsp at aol.com Jgoldsp at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 18:44:59 PDT 1998

<< This is curious indeed since the fats taken from bacon and salt pork are
 'lard'.  Anyway, indigestion is not a concern I take into account when
 redacting recipes. My only concern is flavor and lard makes a better flavor
 when frying.

Well  since "curing" an item does change its properties i.e. pork to ham I
would think that that is what changes the  fat in bacon or salt pork to
something more digesable. Now as for being period in redracting turnsole was
period so was pennyroyal I do not see many people using these items if an item
is questionable for modern  eating habits and may cause discomfort as a cook
in a feast situation it is your responsiblity to  care for your guests well
being and leave the exactness to small  "guild meetings" not the major feast
hall.

 So far as the chicken goes, you are accurate  when stating that pre-cooking
 the chicken would cause it to fall apart. However, parboiling is a totally
 different process than boiling. In parboiling you only leave the meat in the
 boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes then immediately remove them from the heat
 and drain reserving the broth which becomes the base broth for the remainder
 of the recipe. At last year's Will's I parboiled the tender young rabbits
 about 10 to 15 minutes and then roasted them. They were immenently tender and
 flavorful.  >>
Well here I  do not remember if I said precooking or parboiling I am almost
certian I said parboiling I still stand by my statement "modern" chicken does
not need to have this step preformed in most reciepes from "olden times" It is
redundant and parboiling a fryer or broiler chicken for 15 mins. will not
produce a broth wroth much of anything I suggested before, and I repeat myself
,if you wish to include this step use a fowl not a chicken.  If you are
cooking for numbers time is of the essence simmer the chicken for a more white
look or saute it for a more brown look and go right in to the next step the
broth produced is fine and you can save yourself some time{hey that rhymes]
These are my opinions and I do not say they are the end all just a begining
                          ttfn; Joram