SC - Challah

Sat Sep 19 05:34:55 PDT 1998

> I have a quick question on this one....
> Have you ever used a Baking Stone in place of a greased pan for this ??
> And if so, did you make any modifications to the baking temp and Time ??
>
> thanx !
>
> Jeff

You shouldn't have to change the time and temperature with a bake stone, but
it does need to be pre-heated.  This means you have to transfer the bread
from the second rise to the stone, which can be a real pain with a soft
doughed bread (I've damaged the loaf a number of times in the process).  The
greased baking sheet avoids the problem.

I don't know about challah, but most enriched doughs tend to be soft.  If I
were going to bake it on a baking stone, I would consider letting the loaf
rise on a board on baking parchment, then transfer the parchment and the
loaf to the stone using the board as a makeshift peel.  After baking, the
parchment should simply pull away.

Bear