SC - Food Preservation

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 12:10:18 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/18/98 8:15:14 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
mmartines at brighthorizons.com writes:

>  Second, I have the recipe for the sausage, I have a smoker lined up, I
>  have even ascertained that the Kroger butcher will give me intestines
>  for casing (althought THAT caused a few lifted eyebrow :) ).

hmmm, a better idea is commercially packaged goat or sheep intestines.  We
used to get ours from the general store under the Morton's brand (yes, the
salt people).  These are sold in salt in plastic tubs.  Salting toughens them,
so they are FAR easier to work with than fresh hog guts.  And they are of a
size more readily recognizable as "sausage" and more homogenous.  Hog guts are
so easy to tear that they seldom survive the cleaning process without holes.
And the guts from one hog can vary in diameter from 1 inch to eight or more.
We did occasionally use hog guts to stuff the pudding meats, but never for
sausage.

Mordonna

Mordonna