Syllabub (was Re: SC - Lebkuchen recipie)

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Sat Sep 19 13:31:37 PDT 1998

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:10:15 EDT Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 9/18/98 12:59:46 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
>ddfr at best.com writes:
>
>> consider syllabub
>
>Okay, I'm ignorant.  What was syllabub before it was cream and sugar
>with
>flavorings?
>
>Mordonna
According to my (nearest) source, The name Syllabub comes from the wine
used to make it which was imported from Sillery, France, in Amer.
colonial times, and from "bub" an Elizabethan word for a bubbly drink.
Since the source is only concerned with American historic cooking,
someone else might have an earlier reference.

Syllabub (early colonial)
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brandy
1 Tb. lemon juice
2 cup whipping cream

Mix all ingredients except cream. Let stand till sugar is dissolved. Add
cream;whip till soft and fluffy. Spoon into dessert glasses. Serves 8

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
beatrix