SC - oh-oh...Totally OOP

TANTRALYA at aol.com TANTRALYA at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 14:38:07 PDT 1998

In a message dated 9/19/98 5:13:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:

<< Hi there, Bread virgin here...

 I am attempting to make Sticky Buns. In the recipe it specifically calls for
 "Robin Hood SAF Yeast." So off I went shopping this a.m. and couldn't find
 this puppy anywhere to save my life. What I did get was Fleishmanns Active
 Yeast.

 Now, in pre-reading the recipe it states that I include the yeast right in
 with the flour, sugar, salt in a large bowl????? Add milk, butter and egg,
 knead and place in a greased bowl. And then let it stand for 1.25 hours.

 Okay, I may have never baked real bread since I was a kid but I have used
 yeast in the past. Don't you have to start it with sugar and water? Is SAF
 yeast something entirely different? Will putting the Fleishmanns Active
 Yeast in place of the other screw this up?

 Help!

 Micaylah

OK...I will answer the parts I can handle....I guess Bear is the resident
bread expert, but I have made sticky buns before :-).

I used Fleishmanns yeast as well, and I had no problems with it.  Now I buy a
bag of yeast (for those of us who bake lots) and use only 1 tablespoon per
packet in the recipe, or 3 tablespoons per cake.

I changed the recipe a bit for myself.  I proofed the yeast by putting it in
the milk with a bit of sugar, then combined the ingredients.  It was fine this
way.  The reason you put the yeast with sugar/honey and warm water is to
'proof' it.  Proofing is just making sure that the yeast is still good, before
you waste the other ingredients in your recipe.

Good luck with your buns (now why didn't that sound right? <eg>)

Diana