SC - Re: Turkey

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Sep 21 00:52:13 PDT 1998

>>Some turkeys appear to have been eaten in late-period Europe. Period. ;
 ) <<

When I first started working with period foods, I read a quote that said
swans taste just like turkey.  Has anyone else read this?  I don't
remember where it came from, and would like to know that, and whether
there's any truth to it.  I have, on various occasions, cooked 'swan'
[enclosed in quotes] at a feast.  It doesn't get passed off as a real
swan, or as a truly period dish, just "this is the way they cooked swan,
and we would if we had any".

Looking up 'turkey' in a few references, Scully says no; Hess says yes
but it was also confused with the African guinea fowl; Toussaint-Samat,
Maguelonne. HISTORY OF FOOD. Blackwell. 1992, is thoroughly confused
about why it's called turkey, and gives references for its appearances.
She apparently was not familiar with the guinea fowl being called turkey
[and having the name first].

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com