SC - German anyone?

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Tue Sep 22 04:53:26 PDT 1998

Bear wrote:
>>Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin is available in translation, but I don't
>>have the information.

The English translation is mine and I have a couple of copies left, e-mail
me if you're interested.  I am planning on offering it to Cariadoc for his
published cookbook collection after that as the pace of my mundane life is
rapidly increasing.  As far as I know, Sabina Welser and Ein Buch von Guter
Speise are the only two German texts that have been translated into
English.

If you have access to a university library for interlibrary loan you might
down Thomas Gloning's bibliography at

http://www.uni-giessen.de/~g909/cookbib.htm

This is the most comprehensive list of material that I've found on German
cooking and drink and although Gloning's rannge of dates extends outside
SCA time it's still useful. Unfortunately most of these sources are in
German and many are unavailable in the US or are pretty rare.

Several people have mentioned Gloning's home page:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/~g909/kobu.htm
This has the complete text of Ein alemannisches Buechlein vonn guter Spise
and a portion of a Rheinfrankisches Kochbuch (neither one in English) as
well as a few redactions that I think are in English (I think - it's been a
while since I looked).

Good luck,

Valoise