SC - Sauerkraut

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 23 06:24:05 PDT 1998

Valoise Armstrong wrote:

> Yesterday I was reading Bernd Roeck's _Baecker, Brot und Getreide in
> Augsburg_ and I ran across a list of markets in the city in the mid-16th
> century. There was one market area specifically for sauerkraut. Still
> haven't found any recipes for it, but since there was a designated area for
> sauerkraut merchants I wonder if, in urban areas, it wasn't a guild
> acrivity.
>
> Valoise

Umm, I don't mean to be facetious here. Really I don't. But have you ever
smelled any place where large-scale production of sauerkraut was going on? I'd
be inclined to think that while keeping the sauerkraut merchants apart from
each other might be a good thing, another, and equally viable viewpoint might
be to keep them together, at the edge of the marketplace, and preferably downwind.

A couple of years ago I was in a car driven by my brother as we passed a town
in upstate New York (North Norwich?) that claimed to be "The Sauerkraut
Capital of the World", or some such. While I couldn't vouch for the
truthfulness of the claim, I know my brother almost lost control of the car,
the smell was so bad. I'm not talking about a simple sauerkraut smell here
(which I actually like), this was more along the lines of a sulphurous mustard
gas type of smell.

In any case, while there may be some substance to the idea of a guild having
their own little corner of the marketplace, there may also be some more
practical reason involved.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy